Interesting Facts & Statistics
- Tulsa covers a total area of 186.8 square miles, with 192.7 square miles being covered by land, and 4.2 square miles being covered by water.
- Tulsa consists of 62.6% Whites, 15.6% African Americans, 2.3% Asian Americans, and 19.5% other races
- Major corporations headquartered in Tulsa Include BOK Financial Corporation, Samson and Excel Energy, Mazzios, and other notable companies.
- Tulsa has 3 school districts that serve more than 41,000 students annually.
- Tulsa is nicknamed “The Oil Capitol of the World”.
Current Events & Attractions in Tulsa
- Tulsa Zoo and Living Museum
- Oklahoma Aquarium
- Tulsa’s Oktoberfest Festival was dubbed as one of the top ten in the world by USA Today
- Tulsa has 135 parks that span 6,000 acres, 21 swimming pools, 83 playgrounds, 28 water park playgrounds, 197 sports fields, 69 picnic shelters, 109 tennis courts, 11 community centers, and numerous golf courses.
- Intertribal Indian Club Powwow of Champions in August
- Dia de Los Muertos Art Festival in November
- Big Splash Water Park (Wave Pools and Multi-Story Water Slides)
- Greek Festival
- Tulsa Garden Center
- The BOK Center for Large Entertainment Events
- Annual Citywide Block Party Day
Tulsa Community Statistics
- Tulsa has a population of 903,868, with 356,205 households
- 53.6% of residents in Tulsa are childless, whereas 46.4% have children that are 18 and under
- There are 32% renters in Tulsa, compared to 68% of those who own their homes.
- Rental vacancy rates in Tulsa are 9%
- The median age is 36.5 years old
- Median household income is $46,258 in Tulsa, compared to $52,175 for all adult U.S. Residents
- Per capita income is $25,297 locally, compared to $27,466 for all adult U.S. Residents
- The median home value in Tulsa is $117,900
- 7.7% of all housing in Tulsa is valued at $300,000 or more
- 87% of Tulsa residents have a high school diploma, and 25% of residents have a 4 year college degree.
Tulsa Rental Statistics
- In 2012, the average monthly rent amount in Tulsa was $726 per month for a single family home, and $593 for a 1 bedroom apartment.
- Tulsa residents pay on average about 30% of their annual household income in rent.
- As of 2013, 32% of Tulsa residents were renters, compared to 36.98% of renters in the U.S.
- Owner average household size is 2.59 people, compared to 2.28 for renters
- The rent to price ratio in Tulsa is 0.6%.