Skip to Content

Get a FREE assessment of your rental property. Start here!

Get a FREE assessment of your rental property. Start here!

Is Your Rental Property a Potential Hazard to Your Tenants?

Broken Arrow Tenant Looking at Mold in His Rental Home

It’s critical for you as a Broken Arrow property manager that your tenants feel secure and at home in their rental property. Providing for a tenant’s safety can lower vacancies and improve the cash flow of the rental. However, if you don’t take extra care, some potentially dangerous conditions may arise without your knowledge. Let’s look at five of the most prevalent home dangers that, if not addressed, could seriously harm or even kill your tenants. It’s crucial to be aware of the typical household hazards and how to avoid them if you want to make sure that your rental property is safe for your tenants.

Toxic Mold

When a food source, such as cardboard or paper, is present, molds grow in moist areas. The first symptom most people typically notice when they encounter mold is typically a musty odor. There are multiple sorts of mold, the majority of which are unsightly but generally harmless to humans. Stachybotrys, also known as black mold, can be toxic. In severe cases, it may result in anaphylactic shock, allergic reactions, and respiratory distress.

The good news is that it is relatively simple to prevent mold growth in rental properties. Mold can be kept at bay by using an exhaust fan in steamy bathrooms, ventilating the home, and installing a dehumidifier in the basement. Consider instructing your tenants about mold prevention and the associated risks. Additionally, you need to routinely check your home for mold growth. If the worst happens and you discover black mold, it’s crucial to call a specialist right away so they can safely remove it and address the moisture issue that initially caused the mold.

Asbestos

It’s undeniable that asbestos is a significant issue, particularly for older rental properties. As long as the asbestos is found within walls or other enclosed areas, it is relatively safe, provided that it is not disturbed. If asbestos is present in the walls of your rental property, you must inform your tenant not to drill holes or otherwise create openings in the walls, even to hammer in a nail. Asbestos could enter the house through even tiny cracks, leading to mesothelioma cancer.

Only qualified professionals should remove asbestos. You should not remove asbestos yourself or permit a tenant to do so in order to avoid injury and asbestos-related illness.

Lead Poisoning

Lead is another substance that could be dangerous and is often found in older rental homes. In older homes, lead paint was frequently used before it was outlawed in 1978. Even if you have painted over the old paint, lead-based paint can flake off as the home ages, exposing your tenants, their children, and their pets to a toxic substance. In other cases, lead poisoning is also caused by old pipes.

To prevent lead poisoning, you should have the plumbing and water in your rental property thoroughly inspected for lead. It’s also a good idea to have your paint tested and removed by experts trained to do so safely if your property was constructed prior to 1978. The only way to ensure that your tenants are safe from lead is to completely remove the old paint from all impacted surfaces, even though painting over lead paint is a temporary workaround.

Fire

In the United States, house fires are an all-too-common occurrence. Unfortunately, residential fires can be fatal. 2,620 civilians per year die in home fires, which account for over 346,000 annual incidents. The main cause of fires that start in the laundry room is dryer lint, while oil and other ingredients contribute to cooking fires. Faulty appliances, electrical problems, and unattended candles are additional significant causes of home fires.

There are numerous things you should do to keep your rental property free from fires. First, do all you can to ensure that your rental property is devoid of electrical issues, and have the dryer vent sanitized annually. Second, teach your tenants about fire safety and provide them with fire extinguishers, functioning smoke detectors, and other necessary items. These easy steps will help you significantly lower the likelihood that your rental property will catch fire.

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide is yet another usual household hazard. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas produced when wood, propane, gasoline, and charcoal are burned. Carbon monoxide can build up in a confined environment and cause carbon monoxide poisoning when these fuels-using appliances and engines are not properly ventilated. Headaches, nauseous symptoms, blurred vision, and confusion are symptoms of mild carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide poisoning can lead to irreversible tissue damage or even death in extreme cases.

By performing routine maintenance and educating tenants, carbon monoxide poisoning can be avoided. Regular maintenance is essential for fireplaces and appliances that use any of the above fuels. Install carbon monoxide detectors all through your rental property to warn you and your tenants of potential dangers. It’s a good idea to explain to your tenants that they should never leave a car running or use a propane device in an enclosed space if your rental property has a garage or if your tenants have a propane grill or heater on the property. Simple safety instructions could prevent your tenants from becoming ill or even worse.

A big job that can take a lot of time is making sure your tenants are safe and healthy. Why not ask the experts for assistance? At Real Property Management Tulsa, our comprehensive property management and tenant relations programs are designed to keep both your property and your tenants safe. To learn more about the services we offer, call us at 918-532-7020 or contact us online today!

We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.